Tuesday, August 23, 2005

What it's all about.

Hypothesis: See the world through the eyes of a mascot (a la Amelie)

Apparatus: A mascot of your choice and a camera

Method: Pick a personal mascot and take it on your travels with you., eg a stuffed toy, a pet rock or garden gnome (or an iPod). Take its picture outside famous landmarks and record its other experiences with a camera. On your return home, consider making a photo album (or a Blog) or your mascot's travels. Show it to your friends. The album should look like you were never there.

--from The Lonely Planet Guide To Experimental Travel, pg. 170, additions in italics mine.

So my first idea was I was going to travel around Newtown with my iPod. More mascots may show their faces if i get sick of attempting to focus on both a tiny green rectangle AND something big.

I wholeheartedly encourage readers to try this method of travel in their own towns (or others' towns!) and let me know, so I can then authorize you and you can post it here.

Happy travelling!

2 comments:

Taqwa said...

I am *SO* doing that.. Either with my Darth Vader head, or the jedi action figure i got when i bought Jedi Academy.. Maybe my Joystick..


OOOH.. My screw-driver i use for working on PC's...

Dammit! you got me thinking now..

Anonymous said...

There are loads of travel companions. Check out this social >website for stuffed travel companions.